According to the social security death index the following alumni were all residents of Trona:
- Rex Henry Duffel, class of 1959, was born on December 31, 1941 and passed away on Friday, January 14, 2011.
- Ben J. Nelson, class of 1961, was born November 29, 1943 and passed away on Friday, October 1, 2010.
- Sharon Nell Hodges, class of 1966, was born on June 26, 1947 and passed away on Tuesday, February 1, 2011.
- Dean Lawrence Boase, class of 1972 was born on January 17, 1954 and passed away on Wednesday, January 19, 2011.
- Perry Jay Bynum, class of 1982, was born on May 26, 1964 and passed away on Tuesday, October 4, 2011.
I almost never know someone has died until I hear it from George Sherman. Ever since I saw George pull a rabbit out of a hat I had thought that he knew everything, but now I am finding out that, like me, he only remembers the classmates that were in School when he was. Thank you Cynthia Rains Moreno for bringing the younger alumni to my attention. Please take a moment to remember those that you knew and pass the news along to classmates who might not know that an old friend has died.
I remember Rex Duffel, although not very well. He was the football team manager along with Elliot Cook.
I remember Ben Nelson for blowing up a cork gun by trying to use a real shotgun shell in it and for the trap door under his bed where he stored dynamite that he found at old mine sites. It is a wonder that he lived as long as he did. I say this in the spirit of the friendship we once shared as children.
I remember Sharon Hodges’ name but I cannot remember why.
Taking the time to remember old friends makes my task a little easier. We are deeply sorry to hear about our classmates deaths and in sorrow, we mourn those lost. In gratitude, we embrace those around us who remain. In sympathy, we reach out to those who grieve.